Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A photo editor comments on the APE promo

Over at WhatsTheJackanory, Andrew has an interview with Brenda Mills, photo editor at Men's Health magazine, for her take on the APE promo slideshow.

Some excerpts:
"WTJ: What do you think about the APE promo slideshow / idea ?

BM: I think that it is a great resource for photo editors, yeah... as Rob says, it is a nice SUPPLEMENT to the other ways we PE's find photographers--nice way to find more people and remind ourselves who we've always liked.

As for slideshow itself-there's one big weakness (besides tiny thumbnails which I mention later): The photogs who are deep in the slideshow are at a definite disadvantage because those who will get the most exposure/seen the most are the ones with images towards the beginning. I'm sure it's something Rob has thought of and will rectify/fix in slideshows to come.

*I'd very much like to know how Rob decided to put these images in order because there are some very established photog's right up front-not having had time to look at all 297 images yet, I wonder if that continues throughout ?...don't recall seeing that info in his text/blog. random ? by preference ??

*I really like that Rob doesn't list the names of photogs upfront (at first I thought that would be dreadful, but I was soon won over!)---makes you actually look at the darn image without reading the name and therefore reading your own preconceived notions about the photographer into what you are seeing--good move, Mr. Haggart."

"WTJ: So you didn't look at all 297 photographers images ?

BM: Not yet and THAT is exactly the problem. While I PLAN to go back and look lots more, with the way a photo editor's day works---lots and lots of crises and interruptions of all sorts throughout--once you stop looking, you don't know when or even if you'll have time/focus to go back. I DO PLAN to go back.

I think I got through 35 or 40--it takes quite a bit of time, actually, because I am seeing lots of pictures I like and then I check the name and then I go to the individual website if I don't know the photog. and then I take time on their website.

So ultimately it will be a very time-consuming yet extremely valuable tool.

WTJ: Were you surprised to see some big names in the mix ?

BM: A bit, yes. But I reckon that's a tribute to APE's appeal / influence / reach in photo community"