Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mini-lighting workshop


One of the benefits of photo assisting is that you learn a lot about lighting and how different photographers use it. I'm becoming more and more familiar with the equipment and therefore a lot more comfortable handling it. Now if I can just develop some amazing biceps I'd be able to carry really heavy gear (and look good in a tank top). Last year at school I had various conversations with fellow students about how important it was to learn about studio/strobe lighting. Some protested, saying, "But I'm a photojournalist so I don't need to learn studio lighting" or "I'm an artist and I like to use natural light". Frankly I think they're now at a disadvantage, now that many of us are looking for work as assistants. I was concerned about working when school ended so took a lighting course every semester and assisted whenever possible.

Last night I met some friends at school and taught a mini-lighting workshop. I reviewed the basics and showed lighting set-ups that I liked to use. Hopefully they learned something new. They told me I'd be a good teacher since I was clear and patient. Hmm, never thought about teaching before...