Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sometimes you just need to ask

Yesterday I attended a seminar (which I'll post about tomorrow) for visual artists. There was a panel of artists who spoke about how they supported themselves while funding their art. One of the more encouraging messages I took away from the presentation was that to succeed as an artist persistence is key, particularly in such a field rife with rejection. Instead of bemoaning why you haven't been included in such and such a group, create your own context and audience and engage in your community. Artists are often more generous than they are given credit for and if you need help or funding or information, sometimes, you just need to ask.

To wit, I'm preparing for a short trip to Amsterdam, and fired up by such advice, I contacted several photographers who live there, asking if they would be interested in an interview. I expected my message to be ignored or get a big, fat no. To my surprise, they replied yes and one had even seen my work. I'm so excited to meet them and become more familiar with their work and process.