Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When You Meet a Kindred Spirit


Two weeks ago, during the JC Artists Studio Tour, I had the opportunity of greeting a collector I had met during last year's tour. Even though we had only met several times I felt as though we had known each other much longer. We bonded over our similar cultural and educational backgrounds and I recognized him as a kindred spirit. He happily reported he had been so inspired by meeting artists last year that he fulfilled his long held desire to open a small gallery in our up-and-coming neighbourhood. The gallery recently had a very successful opening. When I met the owner last week I had a chance to tour the space. We had a wonderful discussion about potential projects and collaborations (and I'll post the details once they're confirmed).

The piece above is from a series called Family/Memory that I started when I was a student at ICP 2 years ago. It was recently acquired by my new patron/collector and has given me the needed impetus to continue the series.