Monday, March 24, 2008

Doing art and commercial work

As an artist and photographer I often wonder how to balance the desire to pursue my own projects and make a living doing commercial work. Heather Morton Art Buyer posts a timely interview with Daniel Ehrenworth who talked about his relationship with his art work and commercial goals.

"My artwork and commercial work seem to come from two distinct but fairly symbiotic parts of my brain. I honestly couldn’t imagine doing one without the other. In many ways they both inform the other. Plus making artwork lets me experiment in a much looser way and, almost always, those experiments find their way into my commercial and portraiture work.

I learned very early on that, especially at the beginning of your career, its kinda irresponsible to make your living entirely off your artwork because it will inevitably become corrupted. It’s very important to make artwork, or at least have the option to make artwork, that has almost no financial viability. Otherwise you’re just pandering to your collectors. And to be honest, I love doing commercial work so much that I wouldn’t want to just make art. For me, making art is a fairly lonely process but, at the same time, I’m in control of it all and it’s the most meaningful work I produce. Making commercial work allows me to collaborate with really wonderful and talented people, however it’s not as expressive and personal as my artwork. Plus the art market also has an incredibly small audience in comparison to commercial work which makes openings and receptions for a series you’ve been working on for years almost always kinda disappointing (even if the place is packed!).

The division I’ve made between my art and commercial sites is really just for convenience sake. I usually send ADs and Photo Editors here while I send galleries and curators here. However each site also has a link to the other."